No Easy Day

Author: Mark Owen, Kevin Maurer
Published By: Dutton Adult
Release Date: September 4th 2012
Genre: War/Military
Pages: 316

 For the first time anywhere, the first-person account of the planning and execution of the Bin Laden raid from a Navy Seal who confronted the terrorist mastermind and witnessed his final moment

From the streets of Iraq to the rescue of Captain Richard Phillips in the Indian Ocean, and from the mountaintops of Afghanistan to the third floor of Osama Bin Laden's compound, operator Mark Owen of the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Development Group--commonly known as SEAL Team Six--has been a part of some of the most memorable special operations in history, as well as countless missions that never made headlines.

No Easy Day puts readers alongside Owen and the other handpicked members of the twenty-four-man team as they train for the biggest mission of their lives. The blow-by-blow narrative of the assault, beginning with the helicopter crash that could have ended Owen's life straight through to the radio call confirming Bin Laden’s death, is an essential piece of modern history.

In No Easy Day, Owen also takes readers onto the field of battle in America's ongoing War on Terror and details the selection and training process for one of the most elite units in the military. Owen's story draws on his youth in Alaska and describes the SEALs' quest to challenge themselves at the highest levels of physical and mental endurance. With boots-on-the-ground detail, Owen describes numerous previously unreported missions that illustrate the life and work of a SEAL and the evolution of the team after the events of September 11. In telling the true story of the SEALs whose talents, skills, experiences, and exceptional sacrifices led to one of the greatest victories in the War on Terror, Mark Owen honors the men who risk everything for our country, and he leaves readers with a deep understanding of the warriors who keep America safe.



So this book is a 180 for me. This is the first book of this genre that I have ever read and I find myself very pleased. It was recommended to me from a very close friend. And at first when I started this book I was bored and couldn't find myself getting interested in the book. As time went on though I found myself sitting there reading it for hours on end and soon had more than half the book finished. 

I agreed to read the book for the subject matter. I was just a child when 9/11 happened and I can remember it like it was yesterday. What time it was, what classroom I was in at school, the images on the TV Screen. It was as if time just stopped, and then the day it was announced that Osama was caught and killed was a giant win for everyone. 

I admit I was oblivious to what these people do for us. I was young and never put much thought into how I don't have to worry about much. Now that I am older I find I have a lot more respect and awareness to these things. I have bills and I get caught up in life's drama but after some thought I realize there are people out there risking lives or going through something so much more terrifying. Granted we all shouldn't stop our lives and enjoying things for this reason but to take a moment when everything in your life feels unbearable and crazy and think of what these men go through makes me stop and breathe.

The writing was okay, at moments I felt there was unnecessary details and left me dragging on to the next paragraph and at other moments during the missions I felt the flow of the book was perfect. I learned a lot from this book. I like learning about these men protecting our lives, how they are driven in protecting us and sacrificing their lives and family's. I've got to say Navy Seals kick ass.
For anyone looking into reading something out of their norm...like fantasy, vampires, romance, ext...should pick up this book and try it out. Its not to much at once and its very interesting to read about something that effect all of our lives. 

I gave this book a 4 out of 5 stars. I loved the book but the writing could have been better. Its defiantly something everyone should try to read. It was very interesting and pulls you into the world with the Navy Seals, How they live, how they think and do things.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Waves

Regret Me Not

Need